A deeper look into the ritual of tea
For guests who want to a deeper look into the world of tea, we extend an exclusive invitation to a unique ceremony of the warrior-style Enshu school of tea. This is a truly rare chance to see this special ceremony performed up close, and enjoy thick matcha tea that is not often drunken by Japanese, let alone foreign guests. Your host Stephen Shosun will offer detailed explanations of the elements of tea and the ceremony in calming British English, while Tyas Sosen prepares the tea using delicate and prices actions. You won't find this sort of authentic experience with such an experienced foreign instructors anywhere else in Japan. This is a once in a lifetime experience for most foreign visitors, and no, we are NOT exaggerating.
The thick tea initiation experience includes:
- Enter the tea room, learning the proper way for a guest to admire the environment and greet the host.
- Cleanse your pallet with a cup of full-leaf tea and a deliciously moist wagashi sweet.
- Enjoy a discussion on the warrior-style school of tea and what makes it so special.
- Observe up close as your host demonstrates the proper way to prepare thick matcha tea using traditional tools.
- Drink from a centuries-old tea bowl, and experience the rich taste of thick matcha tea for yourself.
- Observe the tea utensils up close with a hands on explanation of each tool and its history.
- Engage your hosts in an open Q&A about tea, traditional culture, and life as a foreigner in Japan.
- Browse the selection of organic leaf tea and powdered matcha available for purchase.
We recommend this workshop for anyone interested in experiencing something truly special. You'll leave with a greater understanding and appreciation of the tea ceremony and how such a refined art form can only exist in Japan.
- Tea workshops may only available on certain days.
- Reservations required.
- Workshop fees are payable in cash upon arrival at tea house.
- Not recommended for children under age 16.
- All tea is vegetarian friendly, but bento lunches may contain some non-vegetarian elements.
- Itinerary and availability subject to change due to seasonal changes in hours, special events, transportation delays, weather, or other factors. Guests will be kept informed of any itinerary changes as they occur on the day of the tour.
- Please read our terms and conditions for more information before booking.
For more info on this experience or to ask about adding this experience to your tour, please use the contact form below.