The largest Buddha and the friendliest deer
Older than Kyoto, Nara is known to have been an important location at the dawn of recorded Japanese history. The idea of a unified Japan was born here in the 3rd century, but it would take more than a millennia for that goal to be fully realized. In the 6th century, the Yamato Imperial Court ruled over the various provinces and clans of Japan from the mountains and valley of Nara, enforcing both political and religious doctrine. When the capital was moved to Kyoto in the 794, the two cities entered a rivalry that spanned centuries, and resulted in the destruction of temples and palaces by arson.
Today, many excellent historical sites remain in Nara, mostly clustered in an area known as Nara Park. KyoTours is proud to offer a Nara Walking Tour for visitors who want to experience a whole other side of the Kansai region.
The following is a sample itinerary for the Nara Walking Tour:
- Travel round trip to Nara by Limited Express Kintetsu train with a reserved seat for the 35 minute journey.
- See Japan's second tallest wooden pagoda, and be blessed by Yakushi Buddha, the deity of good health.
- Stroll through a world-class traditional garden featuring three distinct landscape sections.
- Pass through Japan's largest wooden gate, flanked by two massive statues of Buddha's guardians.
- Come face to face with the world's largest bronze Buddha, a towering figure sitting atop a huge lotus.
- Pet thousands of wild deer that roam freely through Nara Park, considered holy messengers of the gods.
- Stop for lunch and browse local shops for unique handicrafts and souvenirs. (optional)
- Collect unique goshuin stamps and calligraphy at every temple and shrine you visit (optional, additional fees apply)
- Return to Kyoto in time for additional sightseeing.
Journey to Nara
Duration: Approx 5 hours
Price: 16000 yen for one guest
(5000 yen for each additional guest)
- The Nara Tour must be booked to depart Kyoto Station for Nara no later than 11:30 am.
- This tour is available to guests who are already staying in hotels in Nara. Please contact us for more info and pricing.
- This is mainly a walking tour, so comfortable clothing and shoes are recommended.
- Tour price includes transportation fees (train and/or bus) and temple admission fees.
- Guests are responsible for their own bill for lunch, snacks, and drinks.
- Guests are responsible for any fees for additional activities chosen by the guest.
- Taxis are not available for this tour, as locations are inside Nara Deer Park.
- Itinerary subject to change due to seasonal changes in temple hours, special events, transportation delays, weather, or other factors. Guests will be kept informed of any itinerary changes as they occur on the day of the tour.
- Please read our terms and conditions for more information before booking.
To book this tour, inquire about scheduling, or request more info, please use the contact form below.