See the city from all angles and absorb the culture of the ancient captial
With all the temples, shrines, and historical locations in Kyoto, it's impossible to see it all in one lifetime, let alone in a single vacation. However, many of the important main sights can be visited in a single day if you manage your time correctly. Don't stress over maps and tour books, let KyoTours whisk you through Kyoto on a one day adventure that will leave you with wonderful memories to last a lifetime.
This tour finishes in mid-afternoon in Arashiyama after passing through the famous bamboo forest. This is a great part of Kyoto to continue exploring on your own, with plenty of natural beauty, lush gardens, and great shopping. Your guide can direct you to some additional sites for you to experience at your leisure, or accompany you back into the city via train.
To be able to fit everything into one day, this tour works best with a start time between 8:00 and 9:00 am.
The following is a sample itinerary for the Kyoto Grand Tour:
- Ascend Fushimi Inari, a mountain covered in red torii gates, home to a mysterious Shinto goddess and her guardian foxes.
- Count the 1001 golden Buddha statues at Sanjusangendo, Kyoto's most impressive sight. A definite must-see.
- Relax with a bowl of matcha green tea and wagashi sweets at Kyoto's oldest tea house. (optional)
- Explore the magnificent Kenninji Temple, Kyoto's original Zen temple complete with a serene rock garden.
- Walk through the backstreets of Gion, the traditional geisha quarter. Come back in the evening and try to spot some real geisha!
- Pass through Nishiki Market, the "Kitchen of Kyoto," and sample the local food. Great spot for delicious souvenirs!
- Stop for lunch nearby in the busy Shijo district, or enjoy a walking lunch as we pass through the market. (lunch bill not included in tour fee)
- Continue to western side of the city via train and visit Arashiyama, the rural edge of Kyoto.
- Stroll through the beautiful gardens at Tenryuji, the sky dragon temple, and learn about the two very different types of gardens here.
- Pass under the canopy of the world-famous Arashiyama bamboo grove, one of the most visited sites in Japan.
- Finish in the foothills of Arashiyama, where you can continue sightseeing on your own, such as strolling along the beautiful Hozu River or a visit to Kyoto's best private garden and tea house.
If you'd like to experience a full day of Kyoto sights with your own custom itinerary, check out our options for a customized single or multiple day tour here.
The Grand Tour of Kyoto
Walking and Public Transportation Option
Duration: approx. 7 hours
Price: 31,000 yen for one guest
(6,000 yen for each additional guest)
Taxi Option (no trains/buses, minimal walking between locations)
Duration: approx. 6.5 to 7 hours
Extra Fee: 6,400 yen
Japanese taxis hold 4 passengers max
Please note that this tour must be booked with a starting time no later than 9:00am
- This is mainly a walking tour, so comfortable clothing and shoes are recommended.
- This tour must be started no later than 9:00 am in order to fit in all the sites.
- Tour price includes public transportation fees (train and/or bus) and temple admission fees.
- Guests are responsible for their food and drink during the tour.
- Itinerary subject to change due to seasonal changes in temple hours, special events, transportation delays, weather, or other factors. Guests will be kept informed of any itinerary changes as they occur on the day of the tour.
- Please read our terms and conditions for more information before booking.
To book this tour, inquire about scheduling, or request more info, please use the contact form below.